Friday, February 8, 2008

Thoughts on Mitt Romney


Yesterday Mitt Romney formally stepped away from his run for the presidency. After less than stellar results from Super Tuesday's primaries Romney announced to CPAC he was "standing aside" in an effort to help the Republican party unite and prevent Clinton or Obama from winning the National Election.

"I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating Al Qaeda and terror," stated Romney.

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."

I am not a supporter of Romney, but as I heard the news I found myself sad. As a fellow-Mormon I have enjoyed watching someone of our faith compete for the highest office in this nation. In some strange way it made me feel more comfortable and proud as an American citizen. It seemed to justify our place and value in American culture.

As a tribute to Romney, and what he has accomplished I wanted to present a short list of the great things that have resulted from his run for the presidency.

1. 4 million people out of roughly 10 to 12 million were able to willfully vote for Romney as the Republican nominee despite him being LDS.

2. 11 states were willing to give Romney the majority vote even though he was LDS.

3. Romney brought almost as much attention to the Church as the Salt Lake Olympic Games. All attention, even negative, helps to forward the Work of the Lord.

4. Romney has come closer than any Mormon before him in becoming President of the United States. When Joseph Smith announced he would run for President to many it was a ridiculous claim. But now we can say that a member of our faith had a legitimate and realistic chance.

5. Romney has helped millions of American Mormons get involved and active in politics.

While some may dispute this, I feel that Romney ran a respectful and worthy campaign. Some question his political views, the negative campaign ads and the endorsements, but overall I have to say that I was impressed with the dignity and respect he campaigned with.

I am grateful for this time in history and wish I could give Mitt Romney a personal pat on the back.

Thank you, Mr. Romney. As a Mormon you have made me proud.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thanks so much for your comments. After reading your 5 great things list, I too feel very proud of the impact his running for president has had on the country and the Church! I love the picture too!